Do you practise one or more of the following?
Alexander Technique teaching; Aromatherapy; Bowen Therapy; Colon Hydrotherapy, Craniosacral Therapy; Healing; Hypnotherapy; Massage Therapy; Microsystems Acupuncture; Naturopathy; Nutritional Therapy; Reflexology; Reiki; Shiatsu; Sports Therapy; Yoga Therapy.
If you practise one or more of the disciplines listed above please read below. If you practise other disiplines that are not on the CNHC register then CNHC registration is not possible at this time.
To be eligible to register with CNHC you must meet the following criteria:
- Have undertaken a programme of education and training which meets, as a minimum, the National Occupational Standards (see below) and the core curriculum for the discipline concerned. Please note, courses delivered entirely by distance learning do not meet CNHC requirements.
- Have achieved competency to the level of the National Occupational Standards (see below) for the discipline concerned by means of relevant experience of at least three years and relevant training and been assessed as having met those standards.
You will also have to declare that:
- you do not have a criminal record (including cautions), or have notified CNHC of any such record for consideration by the Registrar prior to acceptance
- there no health issues that have an impact on your ability to practise
- you have not been the subject of any disciplinary or civil proceedings against you in relation to your practice or have notified CNHC of any such proceedings for consideration by the Registrar prior to acceptance
- you have current professional indemnity insurance to practise in the UK and there have been no successful claims against your insurance
- you will respond to any request from CNHC for evidence of professional indemnity insurance and CPD activities
Any identified False declaration results in removal from the CNHC register.
You will be required to comply with the following:
- CNHC’s Code of Conduct, Ethics and Performance
- CNHC's Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Policy
- Policy to provide copies of insurance certificate and cpd log
National Occupational Standards (NOS)
The National Occupational Standards (NOS) are statements which describe the knowledge and understanding an individual needs to have and what they need to be able to do in order to be safe and competent to practise. Skills for Health, an independent agency, is responsible for establishing NOS across a wide range of health care disciplines, including many complementary therapies.
Click on the links below to view the two generic NOS units which apply to ALL fifteen CNHC registered complementary therapies:
- CNH1 - Explore and establish the client's needs for complementary and natural healthcare
- CNH2 - Develop and agree plans for complementary and natural healthcare with clients
Click on the links below to view the specific NOS units for all current CNHC registered complementary therapies:
- Alexander Technique teaching - CNH3
- Aromatherapy - CNH4
- Bowen Therapy - CNH5
- Colon Hydrotherapy - CNH26
- Craniosacral Therapy - CNH6
- Healing - CNH25
- Hypnotherapy - CNH23
- Massage Therapy - CNH7
- Microsystems Acupuncture - CNH24
- Naturopathy- CNH10
- Nutritional Therapy - CNH8
- Nutritional Therapy - CNH9
- Reflexology - CNH11
- Reiki - CNH12
- Shiatsu - CNH13
- Sports Therapy - group of units
- Yoga Therapy - CNH14
Published course lists
Registering for Alexander Technique teaching, Aromatherapy, Bowen Therapy, Craniosacral Therapy, Nutritional Therapy, Reiki, Shiatsu and Yoga Therapy:
Please click on the documents below for additional information on which qualifications meet the NOS and core curriculum for these disciplines and routes to registration for those whose qualifications do not meet these standards:
- Alexander Technique teaching - Registration with the CNHC
- Aromatherapy - Registration with the CNHC (UK Based courses only)
- Aromatherapy - Registration with the CNHC (International courses only)
- Bowen Therapy - Registration with the CNHC
- Craniosacral Therapy - Registration with the CNHC
- *Nutritional Therapy - Registration with the CNHC
- Reiki - Registration with the CNHC
- Shiatsu - Registration with the CNHC
- **Yoga Therapy - Registration with the CNHC
*If you are a member of British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT) please apply to register with CNHC through them. Please note you DO NOT need to register with CNHC before joining BANT as a member. If you are a BANT member and you are not CNHC registered please contact BANT for further information.
**If you are required to complete a portfolio application for Yoga Therapy please click here to download the portfolio application form
Registering for Aromatherapy, Massage Therapy and Reflexology:
Please click on the documents below for CNHC statements about qualifications awarded by ABC, CIBTAC, City & Guilds, ITEC and VTCT: